Senior ZEV Policy Advocate
Public Citizen is a national, non-partisan, public interest group with more than 500,000 members and supporters. We hold the government and corporations accountable with campaigns and advocacy before Congress, administrative agencies, and the courts on issues including money in politics, open government, financial regulation, energy and the climate crisis, fair trade, consumer protection, access to justice, workplace safety, drug and medical device safety, and more. We are the reason why there are air bags and backup cameras in cars and there were no red M&Ms for a decade. And much more.
Public Citizen’s Climate Program is looking for a smart, creative, resourceful, diligent, and dogged advocate to press federal and state regulatory agencies, Congress, and the White House for strong zero emission vehicle (ZEV) policies that align with a 1.5°C pathway.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 31, but applications may be considered on a rolling basis.
- Advocacy: Advocate and testify before Congress and federal and state agencies. Plan and execute legislative and administrative advocacy campaigns. Collaborate with other staff to make and execute plans to engage activists in influencing policy. Write white papers, reports, fact sheets, letters, testimony, and comments on proposed rules.
- Outreach and collaboration: Represent Public Citizen in public forums. Participate actively in coalitions and, where appropriate, help organize and lead them.
- Media and public education: Serve as a spokesperson. Develop and maintain media relationships and respond to press inquiries. Help develop research and media strategies in coordination with other staff. Write editorial board memoranda, press releases, op-eds, letters to the editor, and blog posts.
- Supervision: When relevant, supervise interns, consultants, contractors, and volunteers.
- Organization building: Assist the director in writing grant proposals and reports. Establish relationships with funders.
- Making things happen: Above all, make a difference. Write the papers, recruit the partners, hold the meetings, work with the coalitions, lobby the regulators and members of Congress, organize the event. Do what’s needed to win.
- Other duties as necessary.
Experience with policies on fuel economy, ZEVs, auto safety, or adjacent areas a plus. Failing that, an eagerness to learn and ability to learn quickly. Outstanding analytical thinking, judgment, and oral and written communication skills. Independence and strong impulses toward self-starting and self-finishing. Ability to execute planned strategy while reacting to new developments and to balance multiple projects and priorities. Collaborative spirit, high energy, and enthusiasm. Willingness to work long hours when necessary.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Competitive salary and generous benefit package. This is a grant-contingent position. Below is a list of some of our benefits (please note that some benefits have eligibility requirements).
Salary range: $74,368–$123,360
- Great medical and dental coverage, 100% paid by PC, including full coverage for children
- Three weeks paid vacation for new employees, plus five personal days
- 401K plan with a 5% contribution from PC after one year of employment
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave after one year of employment
- Sabbatical after 10 years of employment
- Student loan reimbursement program
TO APPLY: Submit a single document that includes a cover letter, resume, and writing sample of no more than five pages to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your last name and the position for which you are applying in the subject line of your email and the filename of your attachment. Women, people of color, people who identify as LGBTQ+, and multilingual speakers are encouraged to apply. No phone calls please.
Public Citizen is an equal opportunity employer. Visit our website at www.citizen.org/.